- Germany calls for the EU to transition to economic empire.
- John R. Deni makes the case for a US forward presence in Europe (via Paul MacDonald).
- Nick Bisley examines the meaning of “Indo-Pacific” for geopolitical order.
- Mark Leon Goldberg tells us what to watch for in the UN security council elections.
- Brendon Nyhan unfavorably contrasts local with national debate coverage.
- Noah Smith on the place of math in economics. No relevance for political science. No, none at all.
- Teresa Nielsen Hayden on the “decline” of portal fantasies.
Alas, there probably won’t be a Duck of Minerva podcast this week either. I did interview Felix Gilman yesterday for New Books in Science Fiction and Fantasy. We spent some time discussing whether or not fiction influenced readers political beliefs, but didn’t come to any conclusions. I’m curious if Duck readers have strong opinions on the subject.