Dan’s sick, so he’s asked me to put together three to five links … of doom! Unfortunately, I’ve been writing a lot recently and so I’ve missed out on great posts. So here’s what I found in a burst of searching; please suggest additional links in the comments.
- At Foreign Policy, Jack Carlson argues China is building replica European cities to prove its cultural superiority.
- Also at Foreign Policy, this Boeing advertising Web site was linked. I’m posting it because, especially for folks who live in DC, the advertising aspect of the imperium/military-industrial-congressional complex/America-f*ck-yeah complex becomes background noise. But this is definitely a cultural document that needs interrogating.
- One of the better parts of Foreign Affairs online is their annotated reading lists. Here’s Minxin Pei on China’s politics. The Li Zhisui book will make you feel dirty. And he misses Susan Shirk on China’s brittle interior politics and Taylor Fravel on domestic politics and territorial conflict.
- UN announces 2012 celebrities hottest on record
- Secret society of Enlightenment opthalmologists. Note that traditional social science methodologies are poorly equipped to cope with a genuinely secret society.