Winter Storm Nemo is bearing down on us and everything is shut down up here in the Northeast. No classes and no office hours!
Here’s the quick snow edition:
- Why are we now naming winter storms?
- Canadians dissing on Toronto.
- Moscow has received its heaviest snow in a century. With pictures.
- I used to do this on really cold snow days growing up in North Dakota — blow soap bubbles and watch them freeze and shatter. (There really was nothing else to do at -20 degrees in North Dakota)
And, the rest of the roundup:
- The New York Times and the Washington Post broke the story and Wired found the images of drone bases in Saudi Arabia using Bing Maps.
- Despite all the rhetoric and bluster, Brennan came through yesterday’s hearings largely unscathed. More here on drone links.
- Jon Stewart helps us understand the meanings of “imminence” and “a broader concept of imminence.”
- If there’s money to be made with this new drone technology, gotta bet that college and university administrators will find a way….
- Shocking news. Chuck Hagel might find his nomination stymied on flimsy grounds.
- Somalia revisited? The French want to turn Mali over to the United Nations.
- UN Report on bribery in Afghanistan last year. Bribes spent in Afghanistan totaled twice the amount of national revenues. Probably not good.