It’s the Ides of March. Be careful out there. Here’s a random selection of this week’s reads:
- How Fear made America. Scott Lemieux reviews Ira Katznelson’s new book Fear Itself: The New Deal and the Origins of Our Time.
- Anatol Levien questions the “endgame” in Afghanistan.
- Ken Roth asks what rules should govern drone attacks.
- Charles Hunt on the on-going challenges of peacekeeping in DRC.
- North Korean propaganda video of life in the United States.
- Missed this earlier — the four stages of Putinism.
- The guy who put internet freedom on the “grown-ups table” is leaving the State Department.
- Larry Diamond is running a MOOC on Democracy Development course through Coursera. Begins April 1.
- Follow the light and you will find which economies are growing.