Forget about whether we are too narrow, too closed, too whatever. Instead, figure out this: can I make time for Ultimate at the ISA in San Diego? Yes, yes, you can.
Due to popular demand, I have organized a time and a place for an informal game of Ultimate. As the picture below shows, there is a field next to the hotel that we can use for a quick game. All you need to bring are white and dark shirts and your enthusiasm. I will provide the frisbees and the field markers. No cleats, please. This will be a spirited but low intensity game.
I am staying at the Hilton if you need to contact me (Steve Saideman) to ask questions.
So, meet us at 11am, Monday, April 2nd, in the field between the Hilton Bayfront Hotel and the Convention Center.
POST-HOC UPDATE: ULTIMATE PHOTOS!!!!
|The Duck crew getting ready for their
annual meet-up in 2011.
We are now two weeks away from the start of the annual International Studies Association convention in sunny San Diego. In 2010 the Duck developed the APSA drinking game. Here is the ISA version for your conferencing pleasure. (Oh, and if Tom Volgy asks, you haven’t seen me.)
The following, unless otherwise specified, result in the taking of one drink for every observation/sighting at the Annual Conference of the International Studies Association. The Duck of Minerva is not responsible for any liver damage or unfortunate choice of panel questions that may result after participating in this game.
- Watching the Feminist and Gender Studies section pick a ‘turf war’ with the Women’s Caucus at the ISA General Counsel meeting. +2 if already 4:45pm.
- Less than 6 European scholars in the hotel bar after midnight. +1 if no Brits
- Hawaiian shirt.
- Kony2012 shirt.
- Observing someone take more than 5 chocolates/mints from Keesing’s booth and managing not to speak to anyone. +1 if entire bowl.
- Bumping into your former PhD student who now has more publications than you. +1 if still doing PhD.
- Panel with discussant who obviously hasn’t read any of the papers. +1 if obviously doesn’t care. +2 if uses time to plug own book.
- Invitation to Phi Beta Delta Honor Society event. +1 showing up, +2 showing up by accident.
- Someone throwing leftover beads from ISA New Orleans 2010 Conference. +1 if at John Mearsheimer.
- Panellist saying “Well, I actually haven’t read the book” and then proceeding to discuss said unread book.
- iPad. +1 Samsung Galaxy. +10 Blackberry Playbook. +100 Apple Newton
- Performance of Lady Gaga Song at talent cabaret. +1 if in costume
- Someone commenting/retorting with “Well, as I wrote on my blog…”. +1 if “as I wrote on my MySpace”, +2 if Brian Rathbun
- Watching someone dive behind a table to avoid editor to whom they owe an overdue manuscript. +1 if knock over pile of Cambridge University Press books doing so. +2 if still unsuccessful.
- If attendee looking for the International Society of Automation. +1 International Submariners Association (+2 if have own submarine)
San Diego Bonus Round!
- Someone proposes holding panel at the Del Coronado. +10 if Tijuana
- Presenter eating burrito. +1 if with umbrella drink
- Reference to Anchor Man (easy!)
- Reference to Demolition Man (hard!)
- Reference to Top Gun (sexy! But must include “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’” and/or volleyball)
- Someone wearing their conference badge at 2am or more than a mile from the actual conference site. +1 if in Mexico.